Daily Archives: March 17, 2011

Bill Prohibiting Flavored Tobacco Dismissed in Utah

A Bill, would have banned statewide sales and consumption of all tobacco products that taste or look like candy, was sponsored by flavored tobaccoPaul Ray, R-Clearfield was considered last week in Utah. The Utah Business and Labor Committee voted down the bill by 4 votes to 8 during the final hearing of the bill held in the committee room where many anti-tobacco advocates cheered for the ban.

Strategies To Exploit Uncertainty in Tobacco

After taking control of tobacco regulation in 2009, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating the use of menthol in cigarettes. Its tobacco panel, the Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee (TPSAC) is due to report its findings by March 23, 2011, and the FDA will issue a binding ruling after that. We envision three ultimate outcomes: menthol is banned (6% probability); no action is taken against menthol (16% probability); no ban, but tighter regulation (78% probability).

North Carolina Propose Increasing Cigarette Tax